Thursday, June 2, 2011

always an adventure

well, so far... everyday here is an adventure. Usually one that involves copious amounts of walking. I'm pretty sure I'll be about ten pounds lighter and need a month to recover.

Yesterday I went to the Recoleta cemetery to visit Evita Peron's grave. Then went to the Evita Museum and finally to have dinner with the group from my program. We had empanadas, yerba mate (a traditional tea-like drink), and homemade dulce de leche desserts. (seriously, I'm addicted to dulce de leche. it's pretty amazing) The group watched a movie, but I decided to head home. (I'm old)

Today in class my professor showed a video of a song by an Argentine singer, Leon Gieco called "La Memoria". The song is absolutely beautiful... Even though I can't understand every word, it was so moving... He sings about "Los Desaparecidos" here in Argentina and the repression in other countries around the world. Here in Argentina, over 30,000 people went missing during the dictatorship of the late 70's early 80's. That's an unbelievable number.... It was a horrible time in Argentina... they called it the Dirty War...if you have the time, do some reading on the subject.... you'll be moved to tears.

Here is the link to a similar video that we watched... I couldn't find the actual video, but this one is pretty close.... the song is talking about how wars like this should never be allowed to happen again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JeJS5FtGCw&feature=fvst

on a lighter note... the Subway totally broke down today on my way to class. It was awful... Everyone had to get off and then CRAM into the next train. I basically said "F**K THIS" and took a cab. Well, there weren't any cabs empty.... so I thought I'd try to walk... yeah.... I was at the 5500 block... and had to go to the 1900 block... lol that wouldn't work. I basically walked until I found an empty cab. I was 45 minutes late to class... for real... I miss my car.

So after that insanity, I decided I needed a taste of America. After class my friend Michaela and I got some starbucks. IT WAS HEAVEN.

Tonight... I'm relaxing at home.

v=9JeJS5FtGCw




No comments:

Post a Comment