hello blog readers!
I have returned safe and sound from Las Cataratas Iguazu! I would try to describe them to you, but seriously I don't have the words in Spanish or English to give them justice. I will post a few pics on here... there are more on facebook or I'll be happy to show them to you when I get home. If you have the chance to visit them... DO IT. It's 100% worth the trip down here.
Getting to the falls was quite an adventure. Here in Argentina, long-haul buses are a very common form of transportation. The bus terminal was huge... bigger than the airport. But let me say this. IT WAS TERRIFYING. I pretty much had to drug myself to sleep... so two tylenol pm's later... I was finally asleep. Only to be awoken by an insanely loud thudding noise and the bus shaking... then a horrid burning smell. I guess we lost a wheel or tire or something in the middle of the night in the middle of NOWHERE, Argentina. My seat was on the top of the bus right by the stairs... all I saw was the crew running back and forth screaming in spanish and cops outside directing traffic... took two hours to get it fixed. later on that morning after breakfast, we pretty much swerved off the road. Needless to say... my seatbelt was on at all times... and I'm glad i didn't die!
after we got off that bus and onto our private tour bus, we almost got into ANOTHER accident... people here drive like maniacs...
We also had a traditional BBQ at a yerba mate farm. soooooo yummy! You couldn't be a vegetarian and live in this country... just saying!!!
our hotel was nice. very "jungle" like... but the dinner and breakfast buffets were sooo awesome. I made friends with the waiters. =) It was also nice to get to know some of the other guys and gals in my program. We all stayed up late and had some drinks on saturday night. Also met a random Argentine guy who came and joined our group. He was very brave to come join us and speak English!
we also got to see the point where Brazil and Paraguay meet Argentina. There were monuments on the shore of the river representing each country. very cool!
Sunday we went to visit a native tribe... I don't know how I felt about it... I felt very sad and almost exploited, and the tribe definitely was too... It was interesting to see, but it is not something I would've done if I hadn't been forced to.
I was very glad to fly home yesterday and not get on another bus. It also looks like flights are mostly back to normal... so I should be able to fly out on sunday. woo! I miss everyone and really look forward to being home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You let an Argentine guy come and speak in English to your group! Now that is backwards! You are supposed to be speaking Spanish to Argentinians! Practice, practice, practice!!!
ReplyDeleteI am glad you made it to Iguazu. As I told you, my Kellogg group didn't get there--should have but it was a time, money, and lack of courage thing. I definitely will have to get there someday.
As I told you, too, Ana Maria Jaramillo from Universidad Nacional de Lanus is going to contact you and hook you up with their international studies director--a young Argentine who I know, based on staff of hers I have met, will be really cool. If you can find any time to hook up and go there, you should! And you can get me an update on their university's progress. It is a really, really outstanding place--much like our own universities used to be--dedicated to serving people, communities, and the nation rather than increasingly corporate shils.
Keep having fun!!